| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Whenever you search in PBworks, Dokkio Sidebar (from the makers of PBworks) will run the same search in your Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Gmail, and Slack. Now you can find what you're looking for wherever it lives. Try Dokkio Sidebar for free.

View
 

2022 Congress Meeting in Prague

Page history last edited by Chris Holden 3 months, 2 weeks ago

 Cataloguing and Metadata Section at the 2022 Congress Meeting in Prague

Thursday, 28 July 2022, 9.00-10.30

Friday, 29 July 2022, 11.00-12.30

 

Conference Registration: https://www.iaml2022.cz/registration/online-registration-form

Congress Programme: https://www.iaml2022.cz/programme/conference-program 

 

 


 

 

Meeting Summary

Big thanks to our section officers for their reports and our guest Jeff Lyon for giving us an update on RDA/MARC21. We had two days of lively, free flowing discussions. In the course of the conversations, although not sequentially, we touched on every topic listed in the agenda.

  • ** More notes will be added here in the coming weeks ** 

Topics discussed:

  • Communication within the section: 2022 Congress Meeting in Prague (this page)
  • Communication with the broader linked data community
    • Thank you Kyla for raising the awareness of the LD4 Affinity Group.
    • Many of us do not use Telegram or Slack.
    • Even though we cannot possibly do this, we want to avoid giving the impression that big institutions are trying to exert control over open platforms such as Wikidata.  
    • The flip side: how can we ensure quality control when everything is openly editable? There are already many bots and scripts out there that perform quality control on Wikidata. Is that the direction the library community is heading as well? Is that a skill (programming bots) something librarians should learn? 
  • Wikidata: WikiProject Music 
  • Wikidata: Louis Pasteur 
    • focusing on the "Identifiers" section
    • Maria asks: our library is collection a lot of information about musicians and is developing a specialized ontology that is very different from anything that I have seen. How do I make the information available?
    • Discussion: There are three paths:
      • (1) Align the local ontology to standardised ontologies (OWL, LRM, Wikidata, etc.)
      • (2) Publish the ontology and relate properties to standardised ontologies
      • (3) Link the main entries of interest (the musicians / names) from a large hub (VIAF, Wikidata, etc.), likely via an ID (see. "Identifiers" for Louis Pasteur). Then users will be able to reach the specialized information populated in the local schema.  
      • Or do both (2) and (3), which leaves more opportunities open.  
  • IFLA Standards Website 
    • We discovered that all music controlled vocabularies are in the section "Other"
  • Controlled vocabularies for Form of Musical Work
  • Controlled vocabularies for Medium of Performance
  • Music Discovery Requirements site
    • Describes indexing, display, search, and filter needs for music resources.
    • This came up while someone mentioned the problem of displaying MARC21 field 382 (only the first term is displayed, the rest is truncated).
  • Open Refine 
    • Open Refine is a software that helps clean up (messy) data and edit items on linked open data platforms such as Wikidata.  
    • Eric gave a brief demonstration. 
    • 2023 Congress idea: A workshop on Open Refine ??!!?? 
  • Aggregates and LRM's Representative Expressions
    • Emmy asks: I have many volumes of real books. Each volume is for a particular instrument transposition (C instrument, E-flat instrument, etc.). Each volume has the same songs. I can find the volume and see all the songs in it. But when users search for a song, how can I make them know which volumes these songs are in? In other words, for any given song, which instrument transposition is available? 
    • Example (inspired by the example used in the RISM workshop):  
      • Title: Rainbow (composer: Timothy Swan, 1758-1842)  
      • Let's try to find which "collections" include this title.  
      • RISM records that include this song by searching the combination of titles and composer [5 results]
      • RISM records that include this song by searching the combination of titles and incipit (note, the melody begins to vary after the first 6 pitches) [3 results]
        • The incipit search yielded fewer results because some incipits captured the tenor and bass in a SATB texture, rather than the soprano melody.
      • Let's choose this one on the left panel: 155 Pieces; Manuscript copy; US-NH Misc. Ms. 296
        • Select it by clicking on it. On the right panel, you see "This record is part of the collection: 155 Pieces; Manuscript copy; US-NH Misc. Ms. 296" --> Click on that 
        • You now see a description of this entire collection. Now, on the top of the screen under the title, click on "Source contents (155)"  
        • On the left pane, go to Page 7. Scroll down. You will find the title "Rainbow" in the 15th entry.
      • You can do the equivalent on the RISM OPAC. It's actually easier to do here because you can simply find the word "rainbow" on the page.
      • What this sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FCIOHAhWNQ
      • What the score looks like (public domain on CPDL): Score 1 (shape note) ; Score 2 (standard notation) 
        • In theory, these two versions would be catalogued as two expressions (different form of musical notation) that share one representative expression (SATB arrangement). However, RDA 7.13.3 uses "Staff notation" for both standard notation and shape-note notation. So, even though, in my opinion, the two notations are distinct, these two scores will share the same expression level description (except for a free-text 500 note).
  • Possible collaboration with MLA's Linked Data Working Group (LDWG)?
    • LDWG is also doing projects with Wikidata and may be interested in collaborating with the IAML cataloguing group.
  • UNIMARC updates/questions
    • How are URIs going to be implemented in UNIMARC?
    • How will LRM (and, specifically, the representative expression) be implemented in UNIMARC? 
  • The 382 (medium of performance) field in MARC21
    • There are concerns that some institutions do not support the use of the 382 field.
    • The conversion program for taking 650 fields and outputting 382 fields has been used at Brigham Young University. 

Specific answers to questions posed on the agenda: 

  • Midyear meeting? Meetings between Congresses will be planned for the newly formed Project Group and Study Group, rather than for the entire Section.
  • Joint meeting with another section? Although the joint event in March 2022 was our own initiative, going forward, we will work with the newly formed IAML Online Events Committee. 
  • 2023 Congress programming? An idea floated around: the section to sponsor a workshop on Open Refine.   
  • Publication format of the annotated UNIMARC exemplars? We looked at Supplements to Best Practices for Music Cataloging Using RDA and MARC21 - Supplement 3 (v1.8): Complete MARC Record Examples. This document sets out 21 situations and provides an example for each. We noted that, for our project, we would like to have written commentaries to accompany each sample record.

 

Meeting Agenda 

In Attendance (in order on the sign-in sheet): 

 

Thursday, 28 July 2022. Kimmy Szeto (chair) (Baruch College, City University of New York, US), Jeff Lyon (Bringham Young University, US), Chris Holden (Library of Congress, US), Mariet Calsius (CEMPER, Netherlands), Eric van Balkum (Muziekschatten/Podiumkunst.net, Netherlands), Ditmer Weertman (Allard Pierson, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands), Nikolay Kostandyan (Komitas Museum - Institute, Armenia), Attilio Bottegal (Biblioteca Berenson, Harvard University, Italy), Maria Aslanidi (Ionian University, Greece) 

 

Friday, 29 July 2022. Kimmy Szeto (chair) (Baruch College, City University of New York, US), Chris Holden (Library of Congress, US), Katrin Bicher (SLUB Dresden, Germant), Eric van Balkum (Muziekschatten/Podiumkunst.net, Netherlands), Ditmer Weertman (Allard Pierson, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands), Jennifer Ward (RISM Zentralredaktion, Germany), Paula Quint (Netherlands Music Institute), Steven Jeon (University of Birmingham, UK), Jeff Lyon (Bringham Young University, US), Emmy von Diesen (ArtEZ University of the Arts, Arnhem, Netherlands), Attilio Bottegal (Biblioteca Berenson, Harvard University, Italy), Eva Neumayr (RISM Salzburg/Archive of the Archdiocese Salzburg/Mozarteum Salzburg, Austria), Alenka Bagarič (National and University Library, Ljubljana, Slovenia), Teresa Delgado (National Library of Spain), Maria Albuquerque (Biblioteca da Ajuda, Portugal), Maria Aslanidi (Ionian University, Greece) 

 

Elections

  • In-person attendees only. 
  • Nominations 
  • Chair
    • Candidate: Christopher Holden (Library of Congress, USA)
  • Vice-Chair
    • Candidate: Maria Aslanidi (Ionian University, Greece) 
  • Thomas Kalk from the IAML Board officiated the elections. No other candidates were nominated. Christopher Holden was elected chair unanimously; Maria Aslanidi was elected vice-chair unanimously. 

 

Approval of Agenda

 

Reports

Reports from the Section Officers

  • Kimmy Szeto - overview of the section's activities in the past year
  • Chris Holden - Linked Data Study Group proposal [proposed term of reference]
  • Kyla Jemison - Past conference materials on section website
  • Maria Aslanidi - Permanent UNIMARC Committee (see report below); Music Cataloguing Project Group proposal [proposed term of reference]

ISBD review: 

UNIMARC:

RDA/MARC21: 

  • Jeff Lyons (Music and Dance Catalog Librarian, Brigham Young University, US) will give us an overview. 
  • Summary report sent to us from Hermine Vermeij, chair of the MLA (US) Cataloging and Metadata Committee:  [PDF file]

Metadata Standards: 

  • Kimmy: Performed Music Ontology 

  • Chris: music vocabularies

  • Kyla: LD4 affinity group (see below)

  • Open discussion 

 

Old Business

Joint session

  • Took place on 25 and 29 March 2022, co-hosted by the Cataloguing and Metadata Section, the Broadcast and Orchestra Libraries Section, and the Libraries at Music Teaching Institutions Section.
  • Programme and recordings are available here.
  • Other suggestions for future joint sessions? 

Section website

Information on cataloguing from the Section website

  • The proposal for the Project Group "Annotated Exemplars of Music Cataloguing with RDA/LRM in UNIMARC" is being considered at the General Assembly.
  • Publication format 

Section communication (email list, pbworks, social media, etc.)

  • We will continue to use this PBWorks wiki. Official records and documents will be archived per IAML guidelines. Comments welcomed.

New Business

Any new business?

  • Section elections: The appointment of Kimmy Szeto as IAML Treasurer was approved by the General Assembly at the 2021 Congress. His term as Treasurer begins after the 2022 Congress, and he has decided to step down as chair of this section. The present vice-chair Christopher Holden is a candidate for the post as chair. If Chris Holden is elected as chair, there will also be an election for vice-chair.
  • Nominations for both section chair and vice-chair: please send nominations to IAML Secretary General Anders Cato <secretary@iaml.info>. Self nominations are welcome. (See: 11 May email from Anders Cato on IAML-L)
    • Nominations received (as of 18 May): Chair: Christopher Holden ; Vice-Chair: Maria Aslanidi 

Next Meeting

 

  • mid-year meeting?

 

Adjournment 

 

 


Reports

 

Permanent UNIMARC Committee

Submitted by Maria Aslanidi

 

I attended the 32nd IFLA PUC meeting online on 17th June 2022 and 21st June 2022. Discussions at this meeting primarily focused on proposals for numismatic objects (coins).

There were two proposals that are relevant to music cataloguing:

  • Proposal 2022/6 provides additional codes in B/100 $a/34-35 for script/alphabet of the title. These additions harmonize usage in U/A and U/B, and the proposal was accepted at the meeting.
  • Proposal 2022/7 provides additional codes in B/100 $a/25 for the transliteration scheme and the application of the control $7 for linkage to the authority record. This proposal was discussed thoroughly but a decision has been postponed in order to reconstruct and resubmit the proposal. The main rationale behind this postponement is:
    • A more appropriate introductory must be developed.
    • Codes d –f as suggested are covered with code b. If codes g and h are accepted code c has to be redefined.
    • The scope of the position defines that the codes reflect the use of ISO or other transliteration schemes only.
    • The decision to ask for reconstruction and resubmission of the proposal:
      • to avoid rejection;
      • to ensure that all codes used will not overlap one another creating thus a confusion due to multi-values expressing the same or almost the same thing. 

These two proposals will have most significant effects on UNIMARC cataloguers who deal with records that contain multiple scripts (such as Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, etc.).

The next PUC meeting is tentative scheduled for 11th and 13th July 2022.

For more information about the PUC and past meeting minutes, visit https://www.ifla.org/g/unimarc-rg/permanent-unimarc-committee-puc/

 

Part 2 of Maria's report

I attended the 32nd IFLA PUC meeting online on 11th July 2022 and 13rd July 2022. Discussions at this meeting primarily focused on Authority and Bibliographic fields, the latter focusing on numismatic objects, as follows:

There were several proposals that are relevant to music cataloguing:

  • • Proposal 2022/1 provides additional codes in A100_1_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. A/100 pos. 21-22 + Control Subfields $7/0-1/4-5 Script: Additional codes specifying the script of cataloguing and of the base access point. The proposal was accepted July 2022. 
  • • Proposal 2022/2. A100_2_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. A/100 pos. 12 Transliteration Code + Control Subfields $7/3 & 7 Transliteration scheme: Additional codes specifying the transliteration scheme used for cataloguing and in the base access point. This proposal was discussed thoroughly but a decision has been postponed in order to compare this proposal with the U/B Proposal 2022/7 B/100 $a/25 for the transliteration scheme for simultaneous validation of the two proposals. 
  • • Proposal 2022/3. A105_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. A/105 $a: Additional codes specifying the script of cataloguing and of the base access point. The rationale behind the proposal is to provide a solution for some scripts that are represented in library holdings do not exist yet in the UNIMARC code list. The proposed codes are taken from the answers to a survey launched last year in France, among academic libraries and at the French national library. All proposed codes have an ISO 15924 equivalent. The field contains information indicating the set of characters and/or symbols used to express the content of an expression of a work and is intended for catalogues that comply with the FRBR/IFLA-LRM model. The proposal was accepted July 2022. 
  • • Proposal 2022/4. A500_A501_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. A5X0, A5X1 Control subfield $5 pos. 4 (possibly AX41 (241, 441, 541, 641, 741) and AX42 (242, 442, 542, 642, 742)): This proposal aims to clarify which fields should be used for agents that have responsibilities related to works and expressions (500 and/or 501) and to make control subfield $5 pos. more relevant to LRM/RDA cataloguing needs. Acceptance of the proposal is postponed so that a more complete justification of the need to adopt the specific proposal and a more complete presentation of more examples, as well as of the structure of LRM/RDA is provided. 
  • • Proposal 2022/8. B117_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. B/117: Deprecation of values bh and bg of $a/0-1 Specific Material Designation, in favour of a range of values starting with the letter c, encompassing numismatic objects. New values for $a/2-7 Material for numismatic objects. A decision was postponed for purposes of validation with B201 and B260. 
  • Proposal 2022/9. B201_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. The rationale behind this field is the creation of a new identification and normative field for numismatic objects. A decision has been postponed for purposes of validation with B117 and B260 fields. 
  • • Proposal 2022/11. B260_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. The rational behind this proposal is the creation of a new descriptive field for numismatic objects. 
  • A decision has been postponed for purposes of validation with B117 and B201.
  • • Proposal 2022/12. B317_proposal_FR_PUC_2022.docx. The rationale behind this change is the creation of new subfield $b for archaeological provenance. The proposal is postponed for purposes of redefinition (scope and indicators). 

All of the above proposals will have most significant effects on UNIMARC cataloguers who deal with records that:

  • • Contain multiple scripts (such as Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Japanese, Chinese, etc.).
  • • Deal with either objects (e.g. numismatic objects) in their collections or objects that carry significant information that is either music or music-related. 
  • • Are either implementing FRBR or are interested in exploring ways to implement IFLA-LRM or LRM as implemented in RDA. 

 

 


LD4 affinity group

Submitted by Kyla Jemison

 

The LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group is an open cooperative group that organizes presentations on topics related to Wikidata and libraries and hosts working hours for Wikidata and Wikibase. The group’s goals include providing a welcoming, collaborative, and supportive space to discuss Wikidata related topics; gaining a basic understanding of Wikidata in the context of the Wiki community and its norms; inviting and encouraging participation from a variety of institutions and projects, including academic and public libraries, archives, and communities, to ensure different perspectives are shared and needs identified; and documenting and sharing work with the Wikidata community where it will be open for reuse and feedback. Many participants in this group were part of the PCC Wikidata Pilot, an group of PCC libraries interested in trying out Wikidata during the pandemic.

 

I am part of the affinity group’s coordination team, which is always open to new volunteers, so please let me know if anyone is interested. We meet monthly on Zoom to ensure we have speakers lined up for the LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group Calls and to plan projects and activities for the working hours and longer-term projects.

 

For myself, participating in the coordination group is an opportunity to connect with colleagues at other institutions who are interested in linked data in libraries. Participating in the calls and working hours allows me to learn about other libraries’ Wikidata practices and develop my own Wikidata skills that I can then share with colleagues at my institution. We have not been doing much with linked data, though we see that it is going to be an important part of metadata work in libraries in the future, and Wikidata has offered an easy way to begin learning how it works. The Affinity Group presentations have demonstrated some projects that are very possible for academic libraries to implement – describing local university faculty, departments, buildings, library collections, and archival collections in Wikidata, to name a few – and have been inspiring and useful for our library in our own explorations of Wikidata.

 

There has not been much discussion about music metadata in Wikidata as part of this group, though I know there is interest – several people involved come from a music background, and music is a fun and complicated type of thing to describe in Wikidata. If anyone would be interested in presenting to the group, or organizing a working hour (where someone provides a project and instructions and usually a spreadsheet of data, and participants help add that data to Wikidata), please reach out to myself (kyla.jemison@utoronto.ca) or any other member of the coordination team.


 

ISBD Review Group

 

Report on ISBD Review Group – IAML 2022

Chris Holden – IAML liaison to the review group

The 2021 Update to the 2011 Consolidated Edition of the ISBD (International Standard for Bibliographic Description) was released in draft form in December 2021, and officially released in its final form in May 2022. This update extends ISBD to a larger group of resources, and makes several other changes to optimize granular description of bibliographic data. Major changes in this revision include

  • Extending ISBD to encompass unpublished materials
  • Clarifying how ISBD can be used to describe the component parts of a resource
  • Introducing several enhancements to clarify the description of cartographic resources.

Examples of bibliographic description done according to the 2021 Update have been collected and were submitted to the chair of the review group in April 2022 (these include examples of music resources that were assembled by members of IAML), and the publication of these examples can be expected soon.

While the update is considered complete, there are still some additional projects that are ongoing. There is some talk of contacting the MARC21 and UNIMARC committees to update examples encoded in these standards, as well as discussion about putting ISBD terms into IFLA’s MulDiCat dictionary. Translations of the update into Spanish and Italian are forthcoming. Finally, while the work of the ISBD Content Update task force is done, there is still a parallel ISBD for Manifestation Task Force, working on aligning ISBD to the LRM manifestation entity.

 

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.